Tuesday, May 24, 2011












Honey Bee Swarms

So my phone rings yesterday morning, and it is Larry , one of the members of the Beekeepers Association. He explains to me he has a swarm he has caught. Swarming is a natural part of the development of a honey bee colony. Swarming is a method of propagation that occurs in response to crowding within the colony. Honey bee swarms may contain several hundred to several thousand worker bees, a few drones and one queen.

Larry wants to give me this swarm of bees today. I am elated! Of course I will come out and pick them up. He has quite an operation going on as you can see from the pictures. He even has eight more hives at a nearby orchard. Now I have a hive crib, a nuc and a swarm. I'm in seventh heaven. You guys should really try a hive or two. Join a Beekeepers Association, and the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment