Tuesday, July 26, 2011


Bee Beards-On Hives, Not Beekeepers!

A common honey bee behavior during hot summer weather is "Bearding" on hives. This is not a precursor to swarming, but a response to hot weather and a reduced nectar flow. Imagine living in an apartment house that was packed wall to wall with family members, with no reason to go, and it's a hot day in July. I bet you would hang out on the front porch too!

Warren County Beekeepers Association has been meeting for more than 40 years. It is a rich source of information. Many of the members have been keeping bees for more than 15 years. The way I look at it; is these long-time beekeepers have enabled newer beekeepers like myself to gain knowledge and confidence faster than we possibly could on our own!

Tonight is our potluck. I will post pictures later of the event. I got so excited about winning ten frames, and ten beeswax foundations for a honey super, I forgot to take pictures. Sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment