Monday, August 15, 2011





Traditional clay covered straw skep hives in the Basque region

You Can Grow Bees Or You Can Grow Honey

I've really enjoyed my first summer keeping bees. Working with, observing and enjoying. Before I started I read a lot about the subject. You have to feed bees and it is more expensive than you would think. With sugar at $3.00 for 5 pounds, and feeding a quart of water to a quart of sugar, it goes real fast. Bees make honey of course, but they also eat honey.

I have come to the realization that I don't think I am going to get honey this year. I checked my hives this morning and the frames are empty. How disappointing! I have tons of orders and no honey. I know it has been a bad season. As a matter of fact I hear from the old guys who have kept bees for years that this is the worst year they have seen in a long while. I would have to start beekeeping this year! Welcome to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment