Thursday, November 3, 2011

 No Bee Left Behind
 So, we get home from our Beekeepers meeting. I am anxious to tell David what I have observed. I say, "you know something, you were the handsomest man there". He says in reply "with that motley crew I guess so". We both look at each other and laugh.
In regard to my bees; I hope I have a colony that goes through the winter, which is a minimum of about 25,000 bees per hive and I have 3 hives. This colony strength allows plenty of bees for efficient clustering during cold weather and movement of the cluster to honey stores. Even in the best of circumstances colonies will lose bees during the winter. A cluster that is too small at the beginning of the winter can lead to the loss of the colony. 
Keep your fingers crossed. 
Try to stay warm and dry today. It is raining and only a high of 55. I am going to the gym to warm up.

No comments:

Post a Comment