Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm Doing My Research


When raising chickens, one of the most important decisions a Backyard Hobbyist must decide is breed. I chose the Dominique. The Dominique chicken is recognized as America's first chicken breed. These birds are first and formost egg producers. In the past I have had Rhode Island Reds. I prefer something different. I love the black and white feathering of these birds. I like having at least one cock in the flock. I enjoy the way he completes the social pattern in the flock. I have ordered 2 and 23 pullets. I just hope that the crowing they do at 5am in the morning doesn't upset the neighbors. But then again I don't complain about the dog barking and coming and going in my yard. I do intend to shoot a dog if he goes near my chickens. I have my eye on a BB gun. I personally love the crowing. It is music to my ears.   

No comments:

Post a Comment