Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Honey Trivia

First of all, I need to mention that I lost my Uncle Charles today. He was 96 and in a nursing home for the last two years. I feel so badly about it. I only have one of my mothers sisters left. What will I do when they are all gone? I love each and everyone of them. What a wonderful family. My mother was the oldest of 10 and they were all such sweet people. They are all dearly missed. I feel empty inside, but this too shall pass.


How many flowers must honey bees tap to make one pound of honey?
About two million flowers.

How far does a hive of bees fly to bring you one pound of honey?
More than 55,000 miles.

How much honey does the average worker honey bee make in her lifetime?
About 1/12 of a teaspoon.

How fast does a honey bee fly?
About 15 miles per hour.

What is mead?
Mead is wine made from honey.

How many sides does each honeycomb cell have?
Each cell is a six sided hexagon.

How many wings does a honey bee have?
Each honey bee has four wings.

How many beekeepers are there in the US?
Between 139,600 and 212,000.

How do honey bees communicate with one another?
They communicate by dancing?

Well, how did you do? Did you know any of the answers? Pretty tough questions I think. Before I started keeping bees I may have answered one right.