Monday, December 3, 2012


The Perfect Christmas

Songs on the radio, television specials, holiday advertising, our culture's message is clear as the glass on a snow globe. The ideal celebration can, and should, be yours. But reality is often different. For many people, the weeks leading up to Jesus' birthday are fraught with tension and difficulty, and the pressure to have a picture perfect holiday lingers in the back of our minds. What we need is a different mindset. I can remember as a child I would go into Woolworth's dime store and sitting outside was a man with no legs sitting on the concrete selling pencils; and I heard him whisper shyly, Merry Christmas, His body was broken, but He radiated peace. I was reminded that Christmas is about God's peace coming to dwell in the midst of our imperfections. I was only 10 at the time, but it made such an impression on me. How can this man be happy with no legs I said to myself? You see its not about how we feel, or how we look, its about Jesus.