Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tomorrow is the day! My eggs should be hatching into chickens. I have been really reading a lot about the hatching statistics and I am a little concerned. First; there is a 50-50 chance they will hatch from the get go. Second; the heat and humidity have to be right. Third; there is all kinds of contrary information. So, we will see. I have nine eggs in the incubator. If I get three I will be happy.

Moving on to my rooster. Benjamin seems to be starting to peck feathers off the females back and the tops of their heads. He is also eating them. Come to find out, he is lacking protein. So I fried up some bacon, and cut it in small pieces and what happens, he lets all the hens eat it. This layer blend that I am feeding the hens isn't doing it for Benjamin. I have got to stop this chicken cannibalism. This is a tough problem.