Thursday, April 4, 2013

Flowers, Trees and Greens
One doesn't have to be a chef to be a gourmet, does one need to be a garden designer to grow pretty edibles? Obviously not. Yet a few clues from a designer and plantsman might help make your potager that much more interesting. As a kid, I loved flowers. We had a very small yard in the city, but it was jammed packed full of roses, lilacs, snowball bushes, bleeding hearts, and of course mom always planted pansy's.I guess that is why I love flowers today. Dad was an outdoor person and would always take me hunting with him. He would shoot squirrel and rabbit and bring them home for mom to cook. Excuse me, I am getting off the subject. Let's have a look at edible plants as yummy as they are pretty. Kale is an ideal crop to grow in the cool of spring and even improves after frosts. A tasty dish full of vitamins.Nasturtiums and herbs such as, chives, parsley, sages and basil just to mention a few are all edible and beautiful to the eye. Vegetables and flowers mix in beautiful edible gardens. By integrating edibles and ornamentals we get beauty and bounty.