Thursday, October 24, 2013

Want Healthy Birds? Give Them Fresh Air!

First we have to understand that our animals are healthiest when we give them conditions that allow them to express their natural instincts, and which imitate their natural environment as much as possible. Chickens need to scratch, moving around all day in search of food. Chickens like to get up off the ground and perch. They need to dust bathe to keep insects off their bodies and remove dry skin. For bedding I use straw. The chickens love to forage thru it, and I put scratch down so they can find these little nuggets mixed in the straw. I keep my small door in the front of my chicken house open with a heat lamp on during the winter. Give them fresh air, loaded with oxygen, and a place to scratch and their bodies will become warm.