Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fernanda 2
More Garden Talk
March is coming, and whether it comes in like a lamb or lion roar its coming. So lets talk about late spring planting. A good habit is to sow only part of your seed at first, saving the rest to plant a week or two later. That way, if the seeds come to harm, you still have some. And when harvest time comes, you won't have all your produce at once, but can pick over a long period. Good soil preparation gives you a better garden, and can make all the difference. I have wet , poor soil, so I load it up with my chicken manure and hay that I have used in the chicken coop.. I also fill my garden with coffee grounds and other disposable waste. I love broccoli, so I try to get that crop in around the first of April. Potatoes would be great too. Unfortunately, my ground is too wet at this time so I rely on the Mennonites for my potato crop. Beets are another crop that I plant in April. I love to can beets.  The flavor is superb!They are simple to grow and are one of my favorite veggies loaded with iron. Carrots are yummy too. I always start the seeds in April, and let them grow till mid summer, and harvest the wonderful flavor of these orange nuggets. More on summer crops soon.