Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bessie The Wild Hen
You all know the story of Bessie, and how she came to be in my backyard right? First of all, wild chickens eat lots of bugs, including the mean and nasty ones. In general, chickens can be tamable and friendly by the same sorts of general methods you would use with a dog or cat. If they learn to associate you with good treats, they will probably come running when they hear you, rather than in the other direction. Not so Bessie, she runs whether I have treats or not. But the day before yesterday I go out to feed my flock and what do I find , but Bessie in the chicken yard amongst the flock. She is trying to boss everyone  in there including the rooster. I was concerned what would happen that evening when it was time to roost. So I go out with my trusty flashlight around 7:30 at night, and she is no where to be found. She roosts in the bamboo which is next to the chicken yard. So I guess she will have the best of both worlds. Daytime with the flock and nighttime in the bamboo.