Thursday, August 21, 2014




mld104294_0809_hotel_12.jpg
Bring In The Bees
Orchard mason bees are terrific pollinators, and they rarely sting. I can handle that. No honey though. Boo! But unlike honeybees, these solitary bees don't make hives. You can make your garden more inviting for them by constructing a bee house. Bamboo reeds are used in this project.

beekeeping-lessons-waxing-kara-03-0723.jpg
Hive Mentality

Bee realistic, beekeeping can be hard work. It requires planning and a bit of investment. Not to mention the hot, sticky, heavy and sometimes frustrating nature of the work. Like getting stung!   Find a beekeeper to shadow for about a year. Good luck with that. If you are a female you may be shunned like I was. I joined a Bee Association and finally after 6 months left not knowing much more than when I started. I got back to the books, and read, and read, and read. Of course hands on is the only way you learn. Don't be discouraged. It will happen. Let it bee, I leave my hive to the experts. The bees! They know best. Worry doesn't help progress. EVER.