Wednesday, August 13, 2014


Taking Honey Off The Hive
Today, as a matter of fact, this morning I ventured in hive 2. I was really dreading it. I know its worth it for the honey, but I didn't have enough frames to put back, so I knew without even looking, the bees would have a mess. It was! I wish I had my camera to show you, but I was in a frightful hurry to get the honey out. Where the three frames that I was missing in the hive were, the bees had made an oblong shape of honey about 6 inches long. I just scooped it out, bees and all. And boy were they mad. Number one, I was anxious to get the honey out early. Wait till at least noon. All the bees were in the hive, and they ventured to go after me. Mistake! My smoker kept them at bay, but what was I thinking? I just wanted to get it over with. Number two,I ran out of canning jars. This summer has taken all my jars. I will have to make a trip to my nearest Dollar Store and pick up another case. The first two jars are honey. Do you know one from the other? The first jar on the left was taken off the hive in June. It is a light, smooth honey. The second is a darker one and has a robust flavor. Just for your information; did you know that honey comes in seven colors? Water white, extra white, white, extra light amber, amber, and dark amber. Also dark honey has more illness-fighting agents than lighter honey.