Monday, March 9, 2015

  1. Seasonal organic produce – Whether you are buying organic now or plan to, it is best to purchase your dirty dozen, organically and in season.  One way to save money throughout the year on these foods is to stock up during peak season and freeze half of your purchase.  This works really well with items such as strawberries in the summer and peaches in the fall.
  2. Flax – I hadn’t thought about his until just recently.  We are new members at Costco and one of my first purchases was flax meal.  It is not a brand I had bought before, and since I use it a lot, I thought I would give it a try.  To my surprise it is an exact brand sold at our local Whole Foods Market for which they sell a much smaller bag at a much higher price.  So it could be worth a look around for comparisons if you are a flax consumer.
  3. Organic dairy – Although we are not big dairy consumers, I do purchase organic when we include it in our meals and it is always less expensive for the brands I love when I purchase in the grocery store.  
  4. Quinoa (unless you are buying in the bulk section) – For myself, since this is a staple in my home, I love to purchase this in a higher volume.   It is indeed a great find outside of the health food store for even my non GMO, organic quinoa.
  5. Natural peanut butter – I am sure there is no argument here but if you have found a great brand at a less expensive cost in a health food store, please let me know.
  6. Organic spinach – This is something that could easily be noted within the category above but I have yet to find a better price than my organic spinach found in Costco.
  7. Hemp seeds – If you still have yet to try this amazing super-food, then yes, head to your health food store for a sample packet.  I first tried my hemp by purchasing  small sample-like packet at Whole Foods but now, I purchase the same non GMO, organic brand outside of this store.
  8. Herbs – The most fun and economical way around herbs is to grow your own! If you are not so inclined, and depending on which ones you are in need of, this could go both ways.  I typically will buy them at my grocery store, the farmers market or grow them but when I am looking for something else, I will head to the health food store.
  9. Organic eggs – I raise my own chickens, so I have plenty of fresh farm eggs.
  10. Organic chicken breast –  I butcher my own roosters and hens. Talk about fresh!





No comments:

Post a Comment