Monday, May 2, 2011


O'Where, O'Where Have My 10,000 Bees Gone

The story begins Sunday around 1pm. I come home and go to check on my bees out in the back yard to see how things are going. I notice one hive is buzzing and see activity. While the other is silent. Hum! I come in and tell David about the situation, and he goes out and opens the hive and finds out the Queen and her attendants have fallen to the bottom of the hive face down. There are no bees in sight. I am frantic by now, and decide to call a friend and get some advice. Tana tells me the bees have to be no more than 100 feet from the hive. I go seaching thought the trees, all the trees, even the ones in my neighbors yard. No bees to be found. I am beside myself. I take the Queen and the attendants out of the hive and put them on my kitchen counter. Yikes! What do I do now? I drop a little sugar water on their screen and a touch of water too. I call Kelly Bee Company, and since it is Sunday they are not open. I leave a message, and I am still waiting for their return call. In the meantime, David has gone to Kelly on his travels today through Madisonville and the sourrounding areas hoping that they will sell us another package of bees. How could this have happened? Besides David dumping the can of syrup on them, I just have no idea what is going on. I will let everyone know how things turn out. In the meantime I am sad.
I pray that Kelly Bee Co. will have an extra package of bees. What am I going to do with the Queen and her attendants? Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment