Saturday, April 30, 2011








They're In!

O'my goodness. David got tons of stings because he thought he could go out to the hive, dump the bees, syrup can and all and that would be it. It's kind of funny. David is his own person and just doesn't listen too well.
I suited up and followed the steps:
Remove the shipping lid from top of syrup can and Queen cage.
Remove syrup can.
Remove Queen cage.
Shake bees into hive. They wouldn't all go in so I just sat the cage in front of the hive and after 2 hours they were safe and sound. In their cribs.
Carefully replace the frames with the queen cage in the middle with her attendants.
The worker bees will eat the sugar plug to get her out and then the fun begins.
I will have to wait a week before I check them again. They have to accept her as their Queen and can not be disturbed. Otherwise they will kill her. Rough bunch!
David wouldn't let me take pictures of his stings, but maybe next time he will listen to me. Slow and easy does it.
Anyway, it was a profitable day. Looking forward to next Saturday to check on my girls.
Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment