Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Royalty Free RF Clipart Illustration Of A Caucasian Woman Canning Tomatoes In A Kitchen by Rosie Piter
Canning Tomatoes

What do you do when you receive a gift of a bag of beautifully ripe summer tomatoes? Why, you get out your canner and jars and go to work! I'm sure it's weird, but excessive amounts of gorgeous summer produce gets me so excited. I immediately start making plans about how to preserve it and what to do with it later on. Peas and butterbeans are always blanched, packaged, and frozen. But when I have an abundance of tomatoes I almost always can them. I just think canning is the best way to capture that fresh summer taste. Plus, they look so nice on my pantry shelves.This winter when it's cold, rainy, or icy, I'll open a jar of these summer tomatoes and make a soup that will warm us from our heads to our toes. I can hardly wait!