Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Egg
I had lunch out yesterday; a nice salad. But I forgot to tell them to hold the egg. Don't get me wrong, I love eggs! How can one keep chickens and not like eggs? But like many of you reading this blog, I find there's such a stark difference between the real, delicious farm eggs laid by my hens and the stale, tasteless commercial eggs at the grocery store, that I can no longer stomach commercial eggs. The salad was terrific. But only after I had carefully looked and tasted the pale, rubbery slices with distinct green rings around the yolks. Yuck! Of course, it's easy to taste and see the difference when it comes to hard boiled eggs on a salad. Unless you drench them in dressing. But when I see pale, stale eggs on my plate, and when I think how inhumanely they have been produced, it makes me especially grateful for my own flock of chickens. They not only produce delicious eggs, but also provide affection and endless entertainment.