Wednesday, January 28, 2015

You Did It Bessie!
Can you believe it! Five chicks hatched so far. I brought two in. I am concerned that the other three may not live. It is 25 degrees out there. They are under her now, but what about tomorrow. I am emailing the hatchery, for what good that will do me. 


Look! Another one hatching. Bessie you have outdone yourself. There are 3 eggs left in the nest. I will let you know the outcome.


From McMurray Hatchery
She should be able to keep them warm enough.  Be sure the chicks can not get to the layer feed.  Provided a small dish of chicks starter feed for the chicks, it is ok if the hen eats the chicks feed instead of the layer feed.  You will also need to be sure the chicks have drinking water available (you may need to use a small waterer that they can drink from easily).  The hen will teach the chicks to eat and drink.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment