Monday, July 3, 2017

CONEY ISLAND BEGINS
Coney Island's beginnings date back to 1867 when an apple farmer by the name of James Parker purchased 400 acres (1.6 km2) of land along the shores of the Ohio River. James soon realized in the early 1870s the popularity of the farm's location, and that renting it out was more profitable than his apple orchard. He eventually added a dining hall, dancing hall, and bowling alley. He later sold the land in 1886 for $17,500 to a company called Ohio Grove Corporation headed by two steamboat captains. In time for the opening on June 21, 1886, the name was officially changed to "Ohio Grove, The Coney Island of the West" in an effort to link the park with the famous New York destination. Fortunate enough to be on a riverfront location, riverboat soon became the most popular method of transportation for park visitors. In 1887, "Ohio Grove" was completely dropped from the name as the park became known simply as "Coney Island".[1]

Now, to tell you of my experience at  Coney Island. As a child it was my favorite place to go in the summer. Believe it or not, the pool and slide have never changed. They have added on a water park. I can remember every aspect of the pool. When I close my eyes, I can see my cousin Margy and I playing in the water. What fun we had. After swimming we all went to the picnic area to have dinner. Fried chicken and the works. I can remember our moms telling us we had to wait 30 minutes to go on the rides. That was a long 30 minutes. Then in the evening there was always fire works. On Coca Cola days the rides were 5 cents. What fun we had! I will never forget these wonderful memories.

 Sunlite pool and slide.
 Alex and Micah in the water park.
Water spouting from tank.

 Kisses!
 Micah being creative.
 Lunch at Frisch"s.
 A wagon ride with Micah and Oliver.
I Hop for breakfast. Alex and I  spent last week in Cincinnati with Micah my youngest grandson. We had a ball. What fun a big city can be. But I am glad to be home back to my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment